The process of registering a vehicle in Islamabad, Punjab, Sindh, KPK, and Balochistan is generally the same. However, there may be some minor variations between the provinces. Here is a general overview of the steps involved:
- Obtain a vehicle inspection report: This report is issued by a designated inspection center after the vehicle has been inspected for roadworthiness and compliance with safety regulations.
- Submit an application form: The application form can be obtained from the Excise and Taxation Department office or downloaded from the department’s website. The form will require the following information:
- Owner’s name and address
- Vehicle registration number
- Vehicle make, model, and year of manufacture
- Engine and chassis numbers
- Proof of ownership (e.g., bill of sale, import clearance certificate)
- Pay the registration fee: The registration fee is based on the type of vehicle, engine capacity, and year of manufacture. The fee can be paid at the Excise and Taxation Department office or through designated bank branches.
- Submit the required documents: The following documents must be submitted along with the application form and registration fee:
- Vehicle inspection report
- Proof of ownership
- Original national identity card (CNIC) of the owner
- A copy of the owner’s passport (if applicable)
- A copy of the vehicle’s insurance certificate (if applicable)
- Obtain the registration book and number plates: Once the application has been processed and the registration fee has been paid, the owner will be issued a registration book and number plates. The registration book is the official document that proves ownership of the vehicle. The number plates must be affixed to the vehicle in accordance with the regulations.
Types of vehicles and taxes
The type of vehicle and the taxes that must be paid will vary depending on the province. However, in general, the following types of vehicles are subject to registration and taxation:
The taxes that must be paid for each type of vehicle will also vary depending on the province. However, in general, the following taxes are applicable:
- Registration fee
- Token tax
- Withholding tax
- Income tax
- The vehicle inspection report must be obtained within 14 days of purchasing the vehicle.
- The registration fee must be paid within 30 days of obtaining the vehicle inspection report.
- The token tax must be paid annually.
- The withholding tax is applicable to new vehicles only.
- The income tax is applicable to vehicles that are used for commercial purposes.
It is important to note that this is just a general overview of the process. The specific requirements may vary depending on the province. It is always best to check with the Excise and Taxation Department in your province for the most up-to-date information.